The Estonian School of Diplomacy is a registered non-profit organisation located within the Estonian National Library in Tallinn.
ESD holds licence number 7328HTM from the Estonian Ministry of Education, enabling it to deliver a number of accredited training programmes, including its core 9-month post-graduate diploma programme on International Relations and European Integration.
ESD’s broader objectives are to promote the development of theoretical and practical knowledge in the fields of international relations, European integration, diplomacy, and public administration reform. ESD’s activities aimed at advancing these goals include:
- Scholarship programmes
- Advanced custom training courses and study visits for diplomats and civil servants outside Estonia
- Management and consulting on international training projects
- Academic and policy research and development
ESD is a member of the following organisations that focus on the study and teaching of international relations and related fields:
- The European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR)
- The European Information Network of International Relations and Area Studies (EINIRAS)
- The International Affairs Network (IAN)
- The International Forum of Diplomatic Training (IFDT)
- The International Studies Association (ISA)
- The University Association for Contemporary European Studies (UACES)
In cooperation with the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Estonian Center of Eastern Partnership (ECEAP) was established as a unit of ESD in January 2011; since 2015, it operates as an independent institution. ECEAP is a training and research centre focused on on strengthening the administrative capacities of EaP countries as they pursue close integration with the European Union.