In the academic year 2019/2020 Estonian School of Diplomacy (ESD), in co-operation with the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, offers full scholarships for young diplomats and civil servants to participate in the Postgraduate Certificate program International Relations and European Integration taking place at ESD in Tallinn, from September 2019 until May 2020.
– Training course International Relations and European Integration with the value of 60 ECTS credit points starts on September 16, 2019 and ends on May 31, 2020;
– Successful students will receive ESD Certificate and Academic Record;
– Students from Estonia and from other countries study together. Language of instruction is English;
– Lecturers come from Estonia, other European countries and the United States;
– See curriculum for 2019/2020 HERE;
– The training course includes three thematic modules:
– tuition fee;
– monthly allowance (450 EUR);
– accommodation in Tallinn (incl. utilities and internet connection);
– health insurance in Estonia during the studies;
– cost of Schengen visa;
– scholarship does NOT cover the costs of travel to and from Tallinn.
The person applying for the scholarship:
– comes from a country eligible for ODA (see http://www.oecd.org/dac/stats/daclist.htm)
– is not older than 35 years (when applying);
– has at least a BA degree;
– has very good command of English (speaking, reading, writing skills are required at the advanced level);
– is currently employed by their country’s/territory’s foreign or civil service and has been working there for at least one year (priority will be given to those candidates who work for Ministry of Foreign Affairs);
– is highly motivated to learn about international relations and related disciplines. Priority will be given for the candidates strongly motivated to continue their professional careers within the service of their respective country/territory;
– is hard-working, co-operative and ready for cross-cultural study environment.
The applicant should present:
– ESD application form (downloadable from HERE);
– CV in English;
– Motivation letter (1 page/300-400 words, explaining the reasons for applying, previous experience and how the studies will benefit the student’s future development);
– Copies of university transcript in (unofficial) English translation, i.e. diploma of higher education and academic record;
– Copy of (international) passport;
– 1 passport-sized photograph (to be added to the application form);
– Academic essay (1,300-1,500 words with references) to be written on one of the chosen topics below:
- Current challenges of Europe
- Changing world order – post-American world as a new reality?
- Middle East as a ground of great power rivalry – new era but old problems?
- National, regional and global impact of Brexit
- The role of leaders in the era of unpredictability
- Small state foreign policy – challenges and opportunities
– Application documents can be submitted by using Online Scholarship Application System.
– Application must reach ESD by June 9, 2019 at the latest. Skype interviews will be conducted with shortlisted candidates.
– All candidates will be informed by e-mail about their application status at the latest on June 20, 2019.
– Selected participants are expected to arrive in Tallinn on September 15, 2019.
– For further questions please contact Kristiina-Maria Ploom email@example.com
On December 9-14, 2018 ESD had the utmost pleasure of hosting Ukrainian delegation in Tallinn. The intese week focused mainly on security topics and strategic communicaton, and included visits to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Riigikogu, and Government Office of Estonia. In addition, the delegation got first-hand knowledge from specialists of Nordic-Baltic relations, ICT, media, and economic diplomacy. One of the highlights of the study visit was the public workshop where experts from Estonia, Ukraine, Sweden, and Lithuania had the chance to share insights and concerns on energy security.
The UA delegation consisted of:
1) Emir Rustamov – first secretary, Balkans region department, MFA
2) Tamara Herlib – first secretary, department of Sub-Saharan Africa region, MFA
3) Nataliia Bakalova – second secretary, department of Northern Africa, MFA
4) Mariia Cholach – third secretary, legal department, MFA
5) Yevhenii Bondarets – attache’, department of the Middle East, MFA
6) Argam Gasparian – third secretary, department of the South Caucasus and Turkey, MFA
7) Yevhen Mankovskyi – specialist, human resources department, MFA
8) Maryna Popovych – chief consultant, foreign affairs committee, Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine
9) Marko Skral – state expert, expert group on political dialogue, Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine
10) Nataliia-Tereza Anoshyna – deputy head of foreign affairs and European integration department, administration of the President
11) Sergiy Korsunsky – director, Diplomatic Academy of Ukraine (DAU)
12) Yevgeniya Gaber – deputy director, Diplomatic Academy of Ukraine (DAU)
The visit of the UA delegation is the first activity of a two year development co-operation project between ESD and DAU, financed by the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The study visit included visits to the Estonian MFA and Parliament, many in-depth discussions with experts on ICT, cyber diplomacy, EU’s economic agenda, eastern partnership, as well as insights into protocol, US-Baltic region dynamics and Estonia’s national narratives.
This study visit was the final activity of a two-year development cooperation project, financed by the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs / Välisministeerium.
A new batch of students started their studies at ESD’s diploma program International Relations, Diplomacy and European Integration in September 2018. This year altogether 13 nationalities represented in the group! ESD wishes the students a wonderful school year full of heaty discussions and enriching cultural encounters.
ESD’s scholarship holders’ studies have been made possible thanks to the cooperation and support from the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs / Välisministeerium.
Currently ESD runs a development cooperation project that aims to support the development of the Diplomatic Training and Research Institute (DTRI) of MFA Georgia. Project foresees activities on different levels, including study visits and sending Estonian lecturers to DTRI and study visits of Georgian diplomats to Tallinn, Estonia.
On October 14-17, 2018 ESD had a pleasure and privilege to host a small delegation of former senior Georgian ambassadors, now researchers at DTRI. Study visit mostly concentrated on research and analysis methodologies but also included meetings at the Parliament of Estonia and MFA Estonia.
ESD also appreciates the contribution of Georgian Embassy in Tallinn to the success of this study visit.
On October 6-12, 2018 ESD hosted a delegation of five diplomats from Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Palestine and Tunisia.
Program of the study visit focused on introducing Estonia and its foreign policy priorities, Estonian practice in the field of ICT and e-governance. Also one day visit was paid to Helsinki, Finland.
Delegation of the visit:
Mr. Bilal Kheroufi, Diplomatic Secretary (2nd Class), Department of Consular Affairs and National Diaspora Aboard, and the “Civil Society and the National Competencies and talents Abroad” initiative, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Algeria
Mr. Ahmed Shedid, Third Secretary, European Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Egypt
Mr. Baider Al Tal, Third Secretary, Desk Officer, Department of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
Mrs. Amira Bibani, Secretary of Foreign Affairs, Department of UN and International Conferences, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Tunisia
Mrs. Yuad Hamdallah Diplomat (third secretary), Ambassador assistant and political desk officer for (Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Maldives, Brunei Darussalam), Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates, the State of Palestine.
Study visit is part of the Estonian MFA funded development cooperation project.
ESD has started with a development cooperation project that aims to support the development of the Diplomatic Training and Research Institute (DTRI) of MFA Georgia. Project foresees to support the DTRI with lecturers, also the development of the research unit, and organizing study visits to Tallinn.
On September 24-29, 2018 as a first activity of the project, ESD hosted a delegation of diplomats from საქართველოს საგარეო საქმეთა სამინისტრო / MFA of Georgia for a one week study visit on international relations, cooperation and e-Governance.
Project is funded from the development cooperation assets of MFA Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs / Välisministeerium
On May 25, yet another group of 24 bright and talented students from 15 different countries graduated from the ESD diploma program “International Relations and European Integration”.
The countries represented in this year’s group were the following: Afghanistan, Algeria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Cameroon, China, Egypt, Estonia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Rwanda, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Uganda, Ukraine.
Scholarship holders’ studies at ESD were financed by the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
On May 12-18, 2018 ESD hosted a delegation of 20 state officials from Georgia.
Program consisted of visits to state institutions, informative lectures and training. Each participant of the study visit had also an individual meeting with Estonian colleague in order to compare the practices and to make direct connections. Study visit concluded with a meeting with Amb. of Georgia to Estonia H.E. Tea Akhvlediani.
Study visit was organized by ESD (EST) in cooperation with GFSIS Georgian Foundation for Strategic and International Studies (GE), financed by SIDA (SWE).
On May 6-11, 2018 ESD hosted a delegation of 12 diplomats from MFA Palestine. One week study visit focused on sharing the best practice of
Estonian experts from the field International Law, Contemporary EU, e-Governance, ICT and Arab and Estonian histories. In addition to the
meetings with Estonian colleagues from MFA Estonia and from the Parliament of Estonia took place where many personal contacts were established.
Delegation also paid a one day visit to Helsinki, to Finnish MFA and to the Mission of Palestine to Finland and to Baltic States.
MFA Palestine delegation:
Ms. SAFFAH MAALI, European Affairs Directorate
Mr. AYMAN NEMER, Asian and African Directorate
Ms. AREIN ALSENAWI, Economic Relations Sector
Mr. FERAS ABUASAL, Protocol Department
Ms. LEEN SHAMI, European Affairs Directorate
Ms. MIRA QATATO, Refugee and Expatriates
Ms. LAILA SHAMI, Economic Relations Sector
Mrs. LINA L. A. NOWARA, Palestinian International Cooperation Agency-PICA
Mr. MOHAMMED HAMDALLAH, Protocol Department
Mr. BASHAR SARI, Palestinian International Cooperation Agency-PICA
Mr. MOHAMMED AMAR, American and Caribe Directorate
Ms. DANIA DASOUQI, Minister’s Office
Study visit has been financed by MFA Estonia, from the framework of the Estonian Development cooperation. Study visit of the diplomats from Palestine is a third study visit of the development cooperation project that consists of study visits from MFA Armenia, MFA Palestine and MFA Belarus.