Every year, the Estonian School of Diplomacy (ESD), in co-operation with the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, offers scholarships for young diplomats and civil servants to participate in its 9-month certificate programme on International Relations and European Integration. The study programme takes place at the Estonian School of Diplomacy in Tallinn, over two semesters, beginning in September and ending in May of the following year.
- Tuition fees;
- A monthly stipend (€450.00);
- Accommodation in Tallinn (including internet and utilities);
- Health insurance in Estonia during the period of study;
- The cost of obtaining a Schengen visa;
- NB: Scholarship does NOT include costs of travel to and from Estonia.
The applicant should complete/submit:
- ESD application form (downloadable HERE)
- CV in English
- A personal statement [letter of motivation], 1 page [300-400 words] in length, explaining the reasons why you are applying, your relevant previous experience, and how studying at ESD will benefit your future professional development
- 1 copy of the transcript (with unofficial English translation) from all institutions of higher education you have attended;
- Copy of the photo/data page of your passport, together with 1 passport-sized photograph (to be added to the application form);
- An academic essay of 4 pages (1,300-1,500 words with references) to be written on one of the topics below: (TOPICS FOR 2019/2020 APPLICATION ROUND HAVE NOT BEEN FINALISED YET)
- My three visions on future US foreign policy
- Europe after Brexit
- A new international settlement for the Middle East
- Quo vadis Eastern Partnership?
- Options for the EU and US politics towards Russia after Crimean annexation
Scholarship applicants should:
- Come from a country eligible for overseas development assistance (ODA) (see list of countries here);
- Be no older than 35 (as of the closing date of applications);
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s degree;
- Have an advanced command of English (speaking, reading, and writing);
- Be currently employed by (and have been working for at least one year at) the foreign or civil service of their country/territory;
- Be highly motivated to learn about international relations and related disciplines. Priority will be given to candidates who intend to continue their professional careers in the civil or diplomatic service of their country/territory;
- Be hard-working, co-operative, and prepared for an intercultural study environment.
Application Procedure (for the academic year 2019/2020):
NEXT ROUND OF SCHOLARSHIPS WILL BE OPENED SOON!
- Application documents can be submitted by using Online Scholarship Application System
- Application must reach ESD by June 9, 2019 at the latest. Skype interviews will be conducted with shortlisted candidates;
- All candidates will be informed by e-mail about the result of their application no later than June 20, 2019.
- Selected participants are expected to arrive in Tallinn on September 15, 2019.
- For further questions please contact Kristiina-Maria Ploom at firstname.lastname@example.org
Admission Requirements for Non-Scholarship Applicants:
Students applying to the nine-month study programme on International Relations and European Integration at the Estonian School of Diplomacy (ESD) should have:
- An interest in international relations;
- At least a Bachelor’s or equivalent degree;
- Advanced knowledge of English in order to be able to participate actively in class discussions and to understand specialized texts.
- Knowledge of other languages and previous study of relevant topics are considered as an advantage;
Initial Application Requirements (NB! For non-scholarship applicants only)
- Application form
- Personal statement [motivation letter] (1 page: explaining the reasons for applying and outlining relevant previous experience)
- CV in English
- Copy of degree diploma from any institution of higher education attended (accompanied by English translation if necessary)
- Copy of transcript from any institution of higher education attended [with unofficial English translation if needed)
- Copy of passport photo/data page
- Passport-sized photo
- An academic essay of 4 pages (1,300-1,500 words with references) to be written on one of the topics below: TOPICS TO BE ANNOUNCED SOON
- Payment (via bank transfer) for the €20.00 application fee.
Bank details: account number: EE041010220071516018, recipient: Eesti Diplomaatide Kool, explanation: applicant first and last names; 2019-2020 application
Application documents can be submitted:
- In person at the ESD office, located inside the Estonian National Library, Tõnismägi 2 (please make an appointment in advance by calling +372 631 7951)
- By using the Online Application System for non-scholarship position
Deadline for applications is June 27, 2019.
Application Process (2019/2020)
After submitting the initial application documents, candidates will be invited to the second round- a short interview-at ESD. This year, the second round will take place on June 28 at the office of the Estonian School of Diplomacy (Tõnismägi 2, 6th floor). Please contact email@example.com or call +372 631 7951 to agree on the time of the interview.